2.14.2014

DIY Abstract Painting


It all started when I saw these interesting paintings at a vintage market. 


I knew I could create something similar in color on my own. I have painted many pieces of furniture and tons of small items over the years, but I have never attempted an abstract painting. 

Here are the supplies you'll need:

Canvas of your choice
Acrylic and Latex paint
Flat and Fan Brushes
Wooden Stir Stick or Ruler
Plastic Gloves

After I painted a base coat of light grey over the whole canvas, I let it dry. Then I added seven different colors of paint in sporadic directions as each layer of paint dried. 



I wasn't satisfied with the look of the brush strokes, so I went back and used a stir stick and applied the paint to the canvas in a scrapping motion. That worked well! 



So it really goes to show that you don't need  a lot of art skills to paint an abstract on your own. Just go for it!



I finally had a painting that I was proud to hang in my home. I love the way it looks in our master bedroom. Now I need to find a frame for my piece of art.




Stay tuned I'll be sharing my master bedroom progress next week!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Sharing at Craftberry Bush, My Romantic Home, Too Much Time on my Hands, Be Different, Act Normal, Tatertots & Jello, Home Stories A to Z, Cozy Little House, Stone Gable, Not Just a Housewife, Jennifer Rizzo, French Country Cottage, Create Craft Love, DIY Showoff, and The Shabby Nest.

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful and such a wonderful idea. You are so gifted and talented.
    Lisa
    Leeshideaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...