4.24.2012

DIY Barnwood Signs

I've been so inspired by aged barnwood signs lately. After seeing them everywhere, I just had to experiment with some reclaimed wood that I found awhile back. I ended up making several signs, one is my last name and the other one represents my business and blog.





Materials you'll need:
  • Scrap Barnwood or Lumber
  • 5" Uppercase Stencils
  • Black and Gray Acrylic Paint
  • Small Paint Brushes
  • A Pencil
  • A Sanding Block
  • A Circular Saw

Start by tracing your letters with a pencil, space and align each letter on the board.


Then outline the letters using a tiny paint brush. Since I used a stencil and didn't want my letters to look like stencils I just filled in and free-handed the letters where needed with a slightly larger paint brush.


I highlighted the letters in gray paint to add a more rustic, worn look. When the paint dried- I sanded over the letters and distressed them. 



 To complete the barnwood signs I cut the length of the board where I needed to separate each sign individually. 



I had so much fun making these signs that I tried my hand at several other techniques and I may even sell and gift a few. I love the rustic charm of using reclaimed wood, a bonus in using it is the gorgeous imperfections. 

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. Some signs are on my list to make. And how simple, yet I never thought of using my stencils the opposite way and trace from them.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, I just made a sign too! Yours looks great!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally Perfect!!! I'd love to have you share at my party...it JUST opened!!!

    http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/04/overflowing-with-creativity-19.html

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your signs, they look great. I to love working with reclaims wood for signs. I even found a way to make new wood look old and weathered it you don't have any for a special project. You can put some vinegar in a glass jar about half full, then add a piece of steel wool. Close jar let sit couple days, shake every once in awhile. The longer it sits the darker it will be. When you get the color you want just paint your wood. TaDa you got weathered wood.
    Linda @ MixedKreations.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s so artistic, Mallori! With just one look at your signage, everyone can easily get an idea as to what your business is all about. It may be dramatic, but the essence is there.

    Roseline @CrownNeonSigns.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...